Monday 5 November 2007

Teaching in Ghana (2007 Year Out Volunteer)

OK so after nearly a month at school and 3 weeks teaching i feel like i am starting to make some progress.

Continuing on from my last entry the first few days were rough. I was feeling pretty bad about it. I almost felt like a failure and i felt very overwhelmed by the level and range of ability of the classes. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were shocking. I managed to gain the students attention and i like to think respect - there is always the odd naughty kid who is sent to the corner or outside. But even though they would pay attention and do the work the work in their textbooks which im meant to teach them is way too advanced for them. I will read a passage, and then get the class to individually read paragraphs yet when they answer the comprehension questions they randomly copy words from the passage into the answers. I needed to go back to the basics - the alphabet and sounding out the words, even full stops, capital letters etc. yet i had the responsibility of teaching them the syllabus. I thought that i could split the lessons in two except the kids take alot of time to complete simple exercises.

However by about Thursday the children were already improving, not drastically but it was a start. It is really sad though when the kids listen all lesson and dilligently do their work only to get every question wrong. It breaks my heart because they are all really sweet. There is definently a naughty kid in each class though.

Now 3 weeks down the track alot of the kids have improved vastly. Those who would stumble over simple words or worse not be able to read at all are slowly starting to read. I held extra classes during break and used flashcards starting with very simple words and i focused on 'sounding out' the words. It brought back memories from kindy. Seeing the kids smile when they get a question right or recieve a sticker for working well is very rewarding. They walk back to their desks with a bounce in their step and an air of arrogance. Its very cute. They also love learning games as i dont think they have played them before. I also bribe them promising to let them use my colours once all their work is done.

A conversation with one of the teachers upset me. She tried to explain to me that the reason the kids struggled could be blamed on their low intellects. It is obvious though that the main problem is the language barrier. In the village few of the adults speak english very well and are illiterate thus unable to provide a nurturing environment or help. Alot of kids will pop into my house for help with their homework.

The kids are very helpful and sweet. Often they bring me things like mangos, organges, pies etc which either themselves or their parents sell. I feel bad accepting it but they get very upset when you refuse they do not understanmd you want them to keep it for themselves. As i walk to school they will run out and carry my things for me. There is often a mob of children following us chanting 'madam madam how are you?'. Some of the older boys who are about 16 but still in yr 6 are almost flirtacious. Its pretty funny they will be like 'sup madam?' and wink. There are often faces at the windows while i teach. Wether its one of the older boys or some of the younger ones who have taken me 'as a friend' they are all shood away. If i drop something in class about 4 kids will rush to pick it up for me and there is oaccasionally a fight over who will clean the board. Ther are alsoo a few teachers pets. Surprisingly its a struggle sending everyone on break. In Australia once the bell goes the kids are out just as fast. In my classes i have to beg them to go to break. There is often a bubbling mob surrounding my desk and the windows. No matter how cute and funny they are sometimes its a little annoying and i need some space.

Some lessons are hell. The children will not be quite and find it funny when i punish them. There are a few teachers pets who will try and help me buts sometimes they will just not be quite or do their work. One lesson i had a child in each corner on their knees with their hands on thier heads and 3 outside and the rest of the class still was not quite. I was so frustrated that i blew a whistle and told everyone to stand up and put their hands on their heads. They stayed like this for 15 minutes while everyone else went home. The next lesson they were angels. If a lesson is going really badly my last resort is picking up my things and pretending to walk out it makes me feel bad but they run after me 'madam i beg, i will be good, madam i beg'. It also makes me feel bad as when i let the naughty kids return to their desks they say 'thankyou madam, god bless you'.

On thursday Cosmos one of the boys i sent to the corner thought it would be funny to sit in the cupboard. He then burst out, i was about to send him outside when a mouse jumped out after him. There is also occasionally the odd goat, chicken or naked child which will wonder into the classroom from the village.

The rain also makes it hard. Once the rain begins it gets very dark - as there is no electricity and the sound the heavy rain makes on the tin roof makes talking an impossibility. I often resort to handing out my textas to prevent the students from taking off their clothes and playing in the rain which happened the first time it rained.

The teachers are also all very sweet even though i dont always agree with their views and they are sometimes slack with attendance. One day i was the only teacher left in the school. Each day one of the kids will run in with a treat from one of the madams. One teacher bought me hairclips, one baked me cake - definently appreciated as an oven is a rarity. Madam Florence is particuarly generous. She drops in at our hope reguarly and brings with her bread, pineapples and soft drink which are very generous gifts by Ghanian standards.

So after almost 3 weeks the kids are finally responding and improving. Even though some lessons are awful and i feel like leaving, the bad times are evened out by the good. The standards are very different to Australia but im finally adjusting to the random lesson interruptions such as drumming, worship, soccer and rain. The thought of leaving is unbearable and there is now only one month left with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment