Thursday 20 March 2008

Education Work in India (2007 Year Out Volunteer)

To start with I want to say how much I have appreciated the chance to work in a wide variety of schools, as it allows me to get a greater view of the education system and the different problems faced at various levels. This also has some disadvantages as it means that it has been difficult to settle in, especially with the disrupted programmes of the schools. However, I still would prefer it the way it is, due to the fact that it allows for a wider spectrum of the school system.

Mother Theresa and Little Angels School

The Mother Theresa School is generally well run, the teachers have established teaching methods and despite the strong emphasis on rope learning, it is probably the most disciplined and well run of the schools I attend. A typical example of this kind of rope learning occured when students from KG Junior were forced to recite a story about the lion and the mouse. I then went to teach sentene structure and the teacher told me that they do not know how to construct sentences, only words are taught at this level. So they did not understand much of the meaning of the story at all, but merely were reciting a bunch of words they were forced to remember. Perhaps a disadvantage of teaching at this school is that teachers tend to be more hesitant to hand over their classes, due to the pressure for their children to perform. Generally, however, there has been much to do at this school, the children are obedient, the school is well supplied and the principal is particularly welcoming and friendly.

I have had mixed experiences at the Little Angels School, and find that as long as I have a text book to teach out of and know the level of the students classes run quite well. Unfortunately I turned up for my first ever lesson here, with about half an hour of intrtoduction stuff prepared, then was left alone in front of 60 students for 2 hours ... haha not the best introduction. I enjoy teaching the older students in years 9 and 10 English and history, as I do have a general interest in these subjects and study them at university, and the children tend to know what I am talking about, giving the teacher respect if you are actually being informative. Warn future students about grades 5 and 6 cause that is very difficult, usually big classes and long periods with rather disobedient children. Again I do think there is alot of rope learning, with few students thinking critically about a text, considering different points of view or being able to form their own opinion on a subject, however this may come in later years in university.

On thing that did suprise me about both of these schools was the inability of the founders and owners of the school to speak English. Whilst I respect that it would be arrogant and ignorant to make any accusations about the desires of these owners after being here such a short period, I do struggle to understand where their passion for starting an English medium and quality school comes from if they do not understand they do not know the language itself. Of course a school should not be viewed primarily as a 'business' to make money, and I cannot help wonder whether the primary intentions of these owners is to provide quality education, considering the fact that they do not know English themselves. Although this problem is not unique to India, constant complaints by parents about the excessive fees of private schools greatly concerns me, especially if this extra money is used to pay the owners and not to improve eduaction. I could be completely of the mark with these comments and they may be extremely passionate about eduaction and not be earning much profit for themselves, however I cannot help but suspect the contrary.

Candelli Public School (spelling may be wrong)

Due to disruptions of holidays and sickness I have not been able to spend much time at this school, but I greatly appreciate the ability to contrast this school with the private schools. The first lesson I had planned thoroughly, with difficult words in the story I would be teaching spelt out of cards and defintions prepared. This story was in their text book. However, when I turned up and did my introiductions it was clear that there was no way they could read a three page biography of George Washington Carver. I tried to teach them some nursery rhymes (to year fives) but struggled as when I pointed to the door they yelled "window! window!"

After I overcame this first day surprise I have grealty enjoyed teaching at Candelli. The children are well behaved, friendly and lack the well developed smart arse attitudes present in many of the grade 5 and 6 children at little angels. I have figured out some games that work well with the children and they tend to respnd well. Small classes make teaching so much easier between the ages of 10 and 13 as it is in this age that they seem to learn that they outnumber the teacher greatly and can use this to their advantage.

Many teachers at this school do lack much passion and honestly I cannot blame them. I belief that a basic education is important even if the children are not to attend university, but even if you sent these children to the best school I think they would struggle due to their home environment. Many in the community live in straw huts and I would be greatly surprised if their parents took much interest in making them do their home work or pushing their eduacation at home. Having said that I believe that what they do at this school, although seemingly minimal according to private school standards, is very important in their ability to conduct themselves and do basic things such as read and write their mother tongue at a reasonable standard. Some of the teachers are also very capable and due to the limited time I have spent here I am careful not to judge the teachers.

Disabled School

I strongly recommend future travellers to this school, the teachers are wonderful, it is well supplied and I love working with the children. I have spent time working witht disabled children in Australia and did not hold high expectations for this school but was blown away by the way it is run. The children have such a beautiful innocence and positivity that just rubs of on you. All of them have their own thing to offer the worldnd this it is wonderful to be the recipient of this. It is a bizarre concept that I child who cannot speak, with impaired movement and mental acitivity can have more to offer to peoples lives though smiling than any one else can through saying so much (or an excessively long e-mail).

Other Things

It has been a really awesome experience to be able to see the medical side of things here as well and appreciate the insight this has given me. I feel like I do so much 'lovey-dovey' stuff, playing with seven year olds, whilst the other students come back talking of the HIV/AIDS camps and diseases poeple suffer from. I also greatly appreciate the fact that I have been welcomed onto the weekend camps and into the hosprtals when the occasion has arose as these experiences have impacte dupon me greatly.

The programme has been really well run. Sharad and Sheetal make a killer combination of friendliness and approachability every day.

Well I have much more to write about but I must go now to the hospital and I can say that stuff next week.

p.s. I may have focused a bit on the negative aspects in this e-mail, but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive, I love Pen and the vast, vast majority of poeple I come across, teachers, principals and people in the street are very welcoming and competent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment