Thursday 1 May 2008

Obruni in Ghana (2008 Year Out Volunteer)

Written by Rosie Venman - Ghana

HEY everyone!
SO my first 8 or something days in Ghana!
Its SO shocking all the differences, language, clothing, food, weather, colour:) it was very very overwhelming when we arrived at my host family because Aunty Mary speaks very little English so we end up just staring blankly at each other for a few seconds then try talking again a few minutes later. Before we got to our families we went to an orphanage in some place I cannot name haha and as the bus pulled up 40 smiling faces ran towards us and a little tear came to my eye because they are SOOOO cute and I’m missing home so much.

All the children here are beautiful with their short hair and 'cocoa' skin haha. As you walk down the road they all yell 'Obruni.. Obruni' which basically means white person! if you want you can yell 'Obibini' back which means black person!

Melanie and I are sleeping in a small blue bedroom with two single beds, a chair, a couch, a table and a very small mirror. Its quite nice having only that little mirror because most of the time we all feel greasy, sweaty and not pretty ahhaha. Outside our room there is a small courtyard where we chat to the family and where most of the meals are prepared. Today we did some washing in big silver bowls in the courtyard, it is quite awkward when Ama the little girl takes your underwear to wash herself :S

There is a little kitchen where Mel and I eat our brekkie together alone- today it was porridge, eggs and bread. Because there are no spreads I came up with the idea of Milo on bread- SO GOOD you have to try!

We have our own pit toilet which i actually really like surprisingly! And there is a small area/room where we have bucket showers- even better water pressure than my dodgy shower at home!

Today we did drumming and dancing and some language lessons but everyone is SOOO tired and some people are starting to feel sick so we weren't very enthusiastic:(

Meals are MASSIVE here you don’t have a big breakfast but then for lunch you have a full meal (think mixing bowl size) then for dinner another massive meal. But it has been changing because now i think we just have one massive late lunch as we are out all day which Mel and i are happy about. Also I was a vegetarian but I ate CHICKEN which I know some of you will be so excited about! But only twice because I felt awkward telling Mary but now I think I’m getting vego meals!

An old lady died in our little village yesterday morning and I woke to the sounds of not only a rooster and sweeping but someone yelling and wailing because their mother had died. I don’t think there is going to be a big funeral but the village seemed to be congregating to talk about it last night.

Somehow I’m jealous of the fact its cold in Sydney but sucked in to 11 days of rain! Its nothing but 30 degree days here with a few showers at night!

Missing you all loads and loads! The internet is very iffy here so i don’t know when the next installment will be so have an awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment