Wednesday 5 November 2008

Packing it up in Peru- The End!



Images by Rebekah Thackray and Zoe Edema, Peru 2008
Words by Rebekah Thackray, GapBreak

Well I have officially finished my volunteer placement here. At the school we had parties with our classes which was really lovely and really precious for us and the kids. On our last day the students, teachers and parents surprised us by putting on this big performance for us. Each grade did a performance of some kind either a traditional dance, a song, a drama or a poem. It was really sweet to watch and the kids looked beautiful in their traditional clothing. It was also really touching that they worked so hard to prepare these performances for us.

The directora (the principle) then thanked us which was really lovely especially seeing as I think we gained so much and learned so much more from them than we taught. The parents and teachers surprised us witht these gifts of a beanie and a scarf each and they put them on us. It was a bit funny because they couldn't actually fit my beanie on my head because of my dredlocks haha. We then had the inauguration of the toilets. What they did was they tied champaigne bottles to the doors and they got us to smash them with hammers to signify opening them. It was fun and also a bit of a spectacle.

The parents then had one last surprise, they had cooked us this big lunch. It was yummy!! I tell you what Peruvians sure do know how to cook. We said goodbye to the teachers and students. It was really hard to say goodbye especially when we had really started getting to know them individually. I think I am missing my year 6 class the most, they were very cheeky but also very bright and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment