Thursday 8 January 2009

Angus in Ecuador


Gday compadres



Its been a while since I last emailed but Ive been doing stuff so get off my back.

Since my last email weve had Christmas, new years and been to the amazon.

We also had a Mariachi band play for Dans birthday which was pretty awesome.

For Christmas we went to the beach. We had a 12 hour bus ride to Montanita which was ok for me because I slept pretty much the whole way but the others didnt enjoy it too much.
We spent the few days sleeping to midday then going to the beach for the rest of the day before going out. It was a really relaxed town with nothing but surf shops and bars. Christmas day was weird because we didnt do anything Christmassy but it was still cool. My spanish was put to shame one night when I thought I was buying something for 3 dollars but when Hannah gave him a 10 dollar note he didnt give her change and Hannah was like yeah he said dies and wont let me live it down. We were going to hire a surfboard the last day but the swell was too flat for us hardcore big wave riders so we didnt bother. On the bus ride home it was a two tour shorter bus ride than it should have been due to some crazy driving which Kara still wont shut up about cos shes a nervous wreck even with normal ecuadorian driving.

New Years was really good here because they have all these crazy traditions. During the day we had to make an effigy from clothes and newspaper and then at 12 we poured petrol all over it, set it alight and then jumped over it for good luck. You also had to eat 12 grapes on the 12 minnutes before the new year and make wishes and do this thing where you run around with bags so you will travel in the next year. Rositas daughter Priscilla was very insistent on this one tradition with underwear. You have to get changed in to two pairs of underwear 10 minutes before midnight so the girls when shopping for underwear they came back with some decent enough red ones but the yellow ones looked like they were lasses and were way way to tight. They also had loads of fireworks going off which were cool as and there were fire Works going off all around us cos they are legal here.

After new years we went to the Amazon which was cool as. On the 12 hour bus ride there I was busting for a slash (just for Cilicia and Jasmine) so I went to the toilet on the bus. I tried to lock the door but evidently wasnt very successful as we hit a bump and I hit the door it flew open and I was thrown into the aisle which was quite exciting and caused a bito f a laugh. After catching a few different buses we got to a river where had a three hour boat ride down to where we were staying. It was a pretty nice place with wooden huts and no electricity. There were 6 of us Dan, Hannah, Kara, two americans, Alice (another Australian) and a lad from Hong Kong but who studies in Sydney whose named Jeremy but me and Goose immediately changed his name to Jezza. Jezza and Kara were terrible at night because they freaked at the wildlif in our rooms such as cockroaches, spiders and frogs. I also walked in to the wrong hut one night and the incides look exactly the same. I was searching for my torch for ages when I heard movement in one of the beds and I was like, ‘you in bed already Jez?’ and the response was a sheepish ‘üm I think youre in the wrong hut’. I met them the next day they were some nice enough Dutch girls.

On hikes and boat rides we saw Sloths, monkeys, river dolphins, and stacks of other animals. The watching stuff was all well and good but i preferid doing stuff which Goose couldnt understand. The boat got stuck in mud in the river with Caimans (like crocs) in it and I got out to help the guide push the boat without even thinking. The Guide was a legend named Diego he taught us how to make traps which was really cool and he climbed a tree just using this root he cut off a tree tied around his legs. I had a crack at it and jumped up and could hola onto the tree but couldnt move any higher.

We went swimming in the river which was really good fun but the next day we went Piraña fishing right next to where we went swimming the day befote and caught loads which was pretty funny. Goose caught loads of Piranas whereas I didnt catch any I didnt let him no it was only because as a master fisherman I felt smalltime fishing was below me. On the last night the staff at the lodge and Diego lit a fire just using pieces of wood from the Jungla. Me Dan and Alice attempted to Light it after them. Dan and Alice were dead wood and I was clearly carrying the team. Even with my talents after half an hour we had blisters and smoke but that was it.

I really loved it but I think the others were glad to get back to showers and animal free rooms.

Weve also been working now and then which has been alright but there hasnt been too many kids at the orphanage so it hasnt been as good.

Yesterday I bought some more Ray Bans as patty G wanted some. As the pairs I was buying were ultra deluxe authentic Ray Bans the guy was asking for 10 bucks a pair. I told him he was dreaming and got him down to two for 8 dollars. (I had to let you know how good I really am at bargaining after my tres/deis tragedy).

My spanish is slowly improving and I can have small conversations with barman (who turn out to speak English but only once the girls came in) and on nights out but are then laughed at the next day when Goose recalls my shocking Spanish to the local lasses to the others.

I thought I was leaving this Sunday with the others but after just checking my iteniary it turns out Im here until next Thursday so I wont be in LA with Kara anymore but Ill now be in LA at the same time as Pete which should be good.

Adios amigos,

Mav ‘the Caiman hunter’ Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment