Thursday 8 January 2009

Thai Food!


Food Food FOOD



If chili, rice and coconut ain't your thing, you may want to consider your Thai travel plans!

One of my favourite parts about travelling is getting to try all sorts of new foods, and so far my time in Thailand has been no exception. Among the more unusual I have eaten crickets, worms and pigs stomach, but by far my most indulgent delights have been the deep dried fare. Deep fried bananas, chicken, spring rolls, banana spring rolls, pancakes with condensed milk, quails eggs and pork. Coconut too features heavily on the menu, with coconut milk being an excellent addition to sticky rice with mango and also a desert in its own right, as fresh coconuts are hollowed out, the flesh mixed with icecream, put back into the shell and topped with coconut cream. Amazing.

I recently had the opportunity to participate in the cooking of this food as well. For New Years Mirror hosted a party for 300 of the locals. In order to prepare, all of the volunteers got up at 4m to peel, chop and dice. We got through kilos of garlic, mountains of cucumbers, piles of chillis and mounds of onions. One of the strangest expereinces of my life has been trying to peel a cucumber with a meat cleaver! But the food was delicious, taking as long to eat as it did to prepare!

I have found myself craving home food though, and in particular, bread. Of all things, I am loving sandwiches on the weekend. My favourite is nutella and strawberry jam, a really strange reminiscent mix, but just what the belly loved!


No comments:

Post a Comment