Wednesday 8 April 2009

First experience of Ecuador

Written by Benita Bruce - Ecuador 2009


Just thought I would let you know that I arrived safely and everything is going well here! My host mum, Anita, met us at the airport. She is Chinese but her family has been in Ecuador for 5 generations. She speaks fairly good english. My host Dad, William, is from England so speaks perfect English! They are both extremely nice and hospitable. Their house is really nice, and there are paintings of the family all over the place. They have a gorgeous 5-year-old grandson called Harry who stays with them during the day while his parents are at work. I am sharing a room with a girl called Claire, who I get on really well with. The whole group gets on really well actually, which is a bonus.

This morning we went to Marcelo´s house, who is our in-country-agent, for a group talk. We then went to the stadium near our house and bought tickets to see Brazil play Ecuador in soccer on Sunday, which will be really good. Afterwards we went home for lunch, which is the main meal of the day. My host mum is an excellent cook, and I think I will be eating a lot over the next few months! After equipping ourselves with mobile phones we headed to this internet cafe, where I was able to ring home. It was good to talk to them and know that everything at home is going well! Thank you everyone for all your good wishes.

Next week we start Spanish lessons, for 4 hours per day, and then the following week we are introduced to our possible placements, which I am looking forward to.
Quito is a crazy place. Driving is scary (home from the airport and then in a taxi today), as the road rules don´t seem to be very well established and there is basically a constant chorus of horns - people aren´t very patient here. Near our house there is a massive roundabout with no lane lines so it seems to be free reign for all to go wherever they want, and the drivers seem to drive waaay too fast for the numbers of cars on the road! I´m hoping that the taxi drivers know what they are doing!
We are going out for tea tonight, as it was one girl´s birthday today and another´s yesterday. Tomorrow we might go and visit the Old Town, which I´m looking forward to. Will be in contact soon, this internet cafe is right near our house and with insanely cheap rates. Hope everything is ok with you!

Love Benita

No comments:

Post a Comment