Monday 14 December 2009

UniBreak Ash back in Pen


Wonderful to be back!



Well, I have made it in one piece to wonderful Pen. It is truly fantastic to be back here again. Not much has changed - people still stare at me wherever I go, the ground is still dusty and the roads are just as crazy - I absolutely love it!

After a very long trip from Sydney (Via Hong Kong AND Bangkok!!) I touched down in Mumbai. It was great to have some familiar faces to pick me up from the madness that is Mumbai international Airport - even at 4 in the morning. No time was wasted as I was desperate to get to Pen. Buses are apparently not the way to go at that time in the morning, so between the four of us (myself and the three people who came to pick me up) we made the decision to hire a cab all the way to Pen - a three hour journey set us back 25 dollars - I was prepared to pay the price for an air conditioned car after my long trip half way around the world. In true Indian fashion, a taxi ride would no be complete without getting lost a couple of times, nearly missing buses and bikes as we pass a truck on the wrong side of the road, or a stop for breakfast. Half way to Pen, the guys and taxi driver felt it was a good time for food, so we pulled up to a road cafe for brekki and fantastic masala chai (I have been on cloud 9 ever since). Nothing like discussing politics with a girl from Aus, three Hindu guys and a Muslim cab driver at 7 in the morning - fantastic. I could simply not wipe the smile off my face - welcome back to India, Ash!

Now, this in its self should have been enough craziness for one day, but not here in India - the trip to Pen was just the beginning. Turns out I arrived on the day that there was a huge yoga competition happening between the villages in the Raigard district, which I of course had to attend. So off I set with my mates to the nearby village to see what all the fuss what about. Well, you thought that yoga was tough in Australia - you have seen nothing yet! Turns out 16 year old boys really don't have back bones, or any bones for that matter. It was completely normal to stand on your hands and your legs to flip backwards so that the bottom of your feet can touch the top of your head - and this was only the beginning. I wasn't sure whether to clap or call an ambulance! One thing I know for sure, that is not something I will be trying while in India! In all of my amazement, I didn't realise the old man that came to sit down next to me, but when he caught my eye and gave me a huge smile, I figured I was in for something. Before I even had enough time to whip out a Hindi sentence I learnt, he started talking to me in English (really I don't know why I spent all my Saturdays at lessons if I am not going to be able to put it into practice). I got a twenty minute lesson on how to breath properly, because apparently, the way I have been breathing for the last 20 years is not correct - funny that, I thought I was doing quite alright getting oxygen into my bloodstream and the CO2 out. Quite a challenge to learn to breath differently, I reckon its only a matter of time that I can keep this up, but for what its worth, I hope my health will improve... haha.

The finishing touch to this crazy day was when we moved from the site of the competition to where the awards ceremony was to take place - outside a temple next to a lake, during sunset. In itself, that was enough to make it worthwhile. Word soon got around that a white Aussie was in town and of course I needed to be mentioned. Now just a mention would have been fine, but before I knew it, I was being called up on stage to set with the executive panel, have my picture taken and give out prices. Needless to say, I started to tune out whilst looking into the distance (which after 30minutes of sitting in a ceremony that you don't understand, is totally normal). Little did I realise that i was being formally introduced and called up to the microphone - to give a speech! Well, that just topped it off. 600 people staring at me, thinking i am some yoga expert from Syndey, visiting on behalf of Australia, only to share some words of wisdom with them. Words I shared, wisdom not so much. Turns out i am alright at thinking on the spot. I did steal the show, to my horror when the local press pushed his wide angle lens in my face announcing I was to be in the paper tomorrow - not sure whether to be shocked or flattered! Mobile phone cameras where going off and as I got up to leave the stage, I had 400 children rushing towards me to get my autograph - me, the yoga expert from Sydney wishes you good luck on your quest to become a yogi, slightly entertaining. It got to the point that the guys had to pull me away because the children and adults alike would not have let me leave otherwise. And this all on my first day - I am in for a fantastic time.

In regards to the actual house, it has changed a little. A coat of shocking bright pink paint now gives the dining room a whole new look. There is a proper dining table, with enough chairs for all (when I was here last, we sat on the floor to eat - added to the charm but not all volunteers felt the same as I did about that). A tv has been installed as has a music system and a telephone - which can make and receive calls. A fridge has been put in the kitchen and one of the two bathrooms has a hot shower - the other is still cold. A massive charger/generator has been installed as well, so the house now has electricity 24/7, which is a bonus as well.

On that note, I am off to find a newspaper. Take care and I will keep you all posted with more 'news'.

Love from wonderfully crazy and chaotic Pen!

1 comment:

  1. MUST MUST MUST get a copy of that paper =)
    epic story xxx

    ReplyDelete