Monday 14 December 2009

UniBreak Cambodia - very relaxed!


Kay's update on life in Siem Reap


I was met by Jo and Tom at the airport. They are two very special people and have ensured that I want for nothing. Kunn and Jasmine have been equally as helpful here at Jasmine Lodge. After a settling in and having a tour of the city with Jo, Tuesday saw me braving cars, motos, tuktuks, bikes, pedestrians and anything else you can pile on to one of the above to cycle to a nearby village school. The enthusiasm evident from all the people involved at the school is truly inspiring. I have been working from 8-3pm with a 2 hour lunch break. I usually go and sit with the director's grandmother while I eat my lunch and she chews her beetlenut. I help teach a couple of classes and then teach the teachers and training teachers. The teachers' English is quite good and their grammar knowledge is A+++. I don't have a clue about half the grammar rules they can tell me. I have had lunch with the locals, been invited to a wedding, invited to stay with a teacher's girlfriend to teach her English and been pulled up by the local constabulary for not having my bag straps secured over the handlebars of my bicycle. I haven't had time to write much in my diary. By the way, it's left hand drive here.
Yesterday(my day off) I went out to help paint a school that is being set up. Decided to day I must visit a temple or I will get home and not have seen anything. I feel very safe here. I'm off to the temples with a German girl who has very similar interests to me.
Best go, my tuk tuk awaits. I am having a very rewarding,challenging, interesting BUSY time.

No comments:

Post a Comment