Thursday 7 January 2010

Kay says goodbye to Cambodia


Very humbling experience - very hard to say goodbye



The final week.
I visited the National Museum. It was very impressive and could have spent longer than the two hours there. In hindsight I think it would have been good to go there before the temples to get a better background. Apparently it's not well patronised as it was a joint venture with the neighbouring govt.
Most of my school time spent with Pien working out our training for the teachers day. Watched some DVD's about the Tonle Sap Lake at the guesthouse. They were really good. Had a meal out at the Soria Moria Hotel (Scandinavian). That was very relaxing.
Our teacher workshop went very well with So doing the translating. We've done all we can there so now it is up to the teachers to implement the program properly using all the resources they have been given.
My last day at school. Unbelievable emotions. It was a special bonus to have a traditional lunch at Kong's home and see a monkey as I came back through the village.
I had to say goodbye to each of the classes I had been involved with. Most teachers and students said a thank you to me in English and then an individual sompere and goodbye as they filed out of the classroom. It's hard to explain how singing a final "Five Little Ducks" with all ages through to adults could affect you so much. This was as well as the school's "theme song", "If You're Happy and You Know It". After many tears, goodbyes and the final photos I left with so many wonderful memories of fantastic, friendly people.
Karla and I had a quiet night and saw in the Australian New Year.
My last day was very relaxing and pleasant. Rachel and I went to West Barray (the Brighton of Siem Reap!) where we relaxed in our hammocks over the water and our tuk tuk driver slept off his late night. We then had a terrific Khmer massage which left us so relaxed we couldn't do anything.
Jo and Tom took me to the airport. It still didn't feel like I was leaving when I said goodbye to them. The tears flowed as the plane flew off. This was the best holiday I have ever had. Each and every person I came in contact with made it so special for me in their own way. The caring and sharing I experienced has showed me how much good there is in so many people. It has been a very humbling experience and I hope I can carry "plan26" and a more relaxed attitude through my life.
Jasmine waited until I left the country before she gave birth to her and Kunn's son. Seven new volunteer teachers were coming in to replace me!!!
Part of me has still not returned home.
Thank you to everyone who has been part of this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment