Wednesday 9 June 2010

Jambo! - Lexi's first GapBreak news from Kenya

Hey everyone! how are you all? This is the greatest place ever. The first day we got here we went for a walk through the village and everyone is so welcoming. The kids are so so amazing and just so much fun to play with! It is sad though heaps of them have skin abnormalities but they're so happy all the same. And yes, we get fed so well, but nothing like at home obviously! Where we're staying is in a little village called Mohaka and there's beds and showers and electricity. We were all so tired most of us went to bed at 7.30, but we woke up at five to the Muslims praying and the monkey's throwing mangos at the roof! We've learnt a fair bit of Swahili, jumbo for instance means hey! Asantisana means thankyou very much.

The people working at the camp are so nice, they show us everywhere, help us with the language, and we start work on Monday so they'll probably be helping us learn how to build and all that too. Everyone at the camp gets along really well already, it is so interesting meeting the people from Europe, especially seeing as I am going there soon! Our main project is to build desks for the kids at the school, and to also build a hut for "mama", she has no roof and it rains a lot at the moment, it should clear up soon though. There's one girl who's taken a particular liking to me, her name is Hoomba", and whenever she sees me she runs up and grabs my hand or tries to jump on my back. She also calls out for me outside the camp fence, she's so cute! The shops here are really cool, I can’t wait to go out and buy all the paintings and jewelry. Seriously having the best time. I am not sure about a sim card yet but I will let you know as soon as I have a phone. I love you and I miss you all!

Lexi x

No comments:

Post a Comment