Monday 8 November 2010

Learning your ABC's - Molly's wintery Shenyang, China


It's a cold Monday morning, and I just had two of my baby classes. In my second one there is a hilarious girl who I named Rachel. We sing a song called 'Ready for School' each day, and she gets into that one hardcore. She sings so loudly and in this deep guttural (gutteral? I'm not sure) voice, and almost takes the other kids out when she performs her actions. Every day, without fail. It makes me laugh. so hello.


So far I'm up to the letter G with those two classes, but with Tilly/Smile's class (she was Smile but then she wanted a new one so now it's Tilly, short for Matilda) we're up to H/I and they know pretty much all the songs. Those two/3 year olds are bright sparks. My favourite kid is in that class. His name is Alvin, and he knows he can make me laugh. He'll pull the strangest face and stare at me, until I laugh and then he'll pull another one. He has the best smile. My older 4 year olds I'm supposed to be concentrating on the concept of friends, cooperation and sharing. Which is a bit hard, considering the language barrier. There's one kid, Josh, who, when I'm teaching will come up to me and say good work, good work. I'm like, thanks Josh.

So now I am past the half way point in my teaching semester. Only ten weeks at Kid Castle remain. Which is rather saddening. I have to say Konny and I were so incredibly lucky to be placed here, this kindergarten is so accomodating and the teachers and staff are so open and friendly. I am really going to miss this place.
This past weekend I spent in Beijing. Arrived there 10:30 Friday night, and got back to Shenyang 10:00 last night. It was such a good weekend, so chilled. There were only five of us; Oonagh, Emily, Linnea, her friend from Sweden, and myself. Ate some good food, had some good times, caught up with other TTCers based in Beijing. Two Danish girls from TTC, Emma Liva and Leah, are thinking of staying and teaching next year in Beijing. They gave me the number of their school, apparently they are always looking for new english teachers. I think if everything works out, Beijing is definitely the place where I'd stay and work next year. I love the city, there is just something about it. It's exciting and interesting and big and different to Shenyang. I'm glad I'm in Shenyang this year, gave me an opportunity to live and work somewhere different. But Beijing for sure.

Apparently it snowed yesterday in Shenyang! And I missed it. Beijing was really nice weather, sunny, blue skies, and it got up to 18 degrees. And for the past two weeks Shenyang has also been really nice, warm (15 degrees is classified as warm) and again clear skies. But I think that's the end of the good weather. Winter has definitely set in, at the moment it's 5 during the day and minus temperature at night. And it's going to keep getting colder. Also the river freezes over in winter and you can go iceskating on it! 10 kwai (like $1.50) for iceskating as long as you'd like. I know, amazing. So I guess winter is actually pretty exciting. This weeked we're going to Dandong and take a cruise to see North Korea. Should be good, I'll tell you about it.

Anyway everything is going well, everyone is fine.
Until next time!
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment