Monday 21 May 2012

A new French family!



COUNTRY: France
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Teaching
WRITTEN BY: Siobhan Calafiore

After much anticipation and anxious waiting we have finally arrived and settled in with our host families. During those last few moments as the train pulled into the station at Vannes I felt a surge of nerves come over me and I glanced at Phoebe who seemed to be feeling the same way.

I remember saying that these next few seconds would be the worst part of the whole trip. It was good to have Phoebe with me as we searched for our families on the platform - a luxury some of the other girls may not have had. I spotted Catherine (my host mother) easily and as she smiled at me the nerves dissipated as quickly as they had come. Phoebe and I left the train station with our families ready to commence the second part of our adventure in France.



Despite some natural adjustments to the French lifestyle I feel quite at home with my host family amongst the pretty scenery of Hennebont. The house is a ten minute walk from the medieval town which has at its centre an impressive cathedral. Just down the road is a lovely river speckled with boats and behind the house is a lush green forest. It is scenery that could have come directly out of a fairytale. The three boys although shy at first have welcomed me into their home with unexpected maturity despite their young age. Whether it be offering me a yoghurt when they raid the fridge, speaking with me openly and freely undeterred by my broken French or handing me the remote when I sit down to watch to television with them. The parents have been just as warm as they continuously tell me to “make yourself at home”.

I have done a lot in the two weeks I have been here including flying a kite with the boys at the beach, going for walks in the forest, observing votes being counted in Hennebont on the day of the election and witnessing a change in President, visiting Vannes with Phoebe and Marie-Alix (our in-country agent), doing several presentations on Australia at the local primary school, attending a primary school musical, watching the soccer religiously with the family, exploring other towns and attending lots of gatherings providing me with an opportunity to meet friends and extended family.



It was originally planned that I teach English to the eldest, William, in lesson format. However it hasn’t turned out this way. Instead I occasionally help with homework, speak in English to William and play some games with the three boys. I think what is most important in such situations is adjustment and I am continuing to modify my original lesson plans into activities and games for the boys. Georgia has experienced similar difficulty as so far she has only been required to correct English homework.



Jess however was prepared for informal lessons and has alternating French and English speaking days with her host family. Both Phoebe and Sarah have begun more formal lessons with their host brothers and sisters. These lessons are enjoyable as the children are eager to learn and full of questions. Georgia has spent the past two weeks visiting beautiful “chateaux”, exploring the old city of Le Mans, shopping and bike riding with her host sister around the Sartre River. 


Her tastebuds have also been treated as her host mother enjoys cooking extravagant six course meals and her host family have wasted no time in introducing her to French snacks and lollies such as Nutella Panini and fraise tagadas. Georgia has also had the opportunity to try a different type of French cuisine visiting a French McDonalds with her host sister and finding herself amused by the McBaguettes.
 

Phoebe has also benefitted from a lovely host family and as a result has found the last few weeks a great experience and easier than anticipated. She already feels at home in the town of Thiex. Apart from teaching English she fills her days exploring the surrounding villages by bike, visiting Vannes, going to the beach and participating in a French course similar to the one in Paris.

Jess’s situation is a little different from the rest of ours as she has settled into a family consisting of just two adults. However she is enjoying every bit of it. She now has orientated herself with the city of Le Mans and after a few bike rides and walks believes she can find her way home without getting lost!

Her family have also already taken her on a three day trip to Angers to visit extended family. However what has impressed Jess most is the fact that her host family actually don’t mind vegemite - seeming as on her last trip to France her host family didn’t take to vegemite quite as well!

Apologies for the long blog but it has been an exciting past two weeks for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment