Wednesday 13 June 2012

Galapagos adventures and last week in Quito



COUNTRY: Ecuador
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Teaching & Care Work
WRITTEN BY: Lauren Gaudion

Buenos tardes everyone!

How are we all? I bet you're all excited to see your loved ones again in a week! Last week I told you all how I was left alone while the others went off to the Galapagos... :(

Fortunately enough, it seems they had an amazing experience! They put their tanning suits on, got up close and personal with some rare animals, and relaxed in the comfort of their 5-star cruiser. I must admit I'm just a tad jealous, but I've still got a good 60 or so years to go back! The gang took some really great photos as well, almost good enough for some antipodeans advertising they think! I'm sure they would love to share them if you ask nicely.

Apart from the Galap-lap adventures, all has been reasonably quiet in this busy city recently. We've been having fun at work, getting the most out of the last two weeks we have left. And by this I mean that yes, a boy called Martin shat on my hand yesterday. I've been adoring the children at my placement though. I know all of their names now and I know what makes each one smile. It feels so very fulfilling.

One girl (Damaris - aged 5 and one of the few who can actually speak) likes playing peek-a-boo with Barney in the playhouse. She can also go hours at a time forcing you to take her down the slide repeatedly. But I love her, and she's actually one of the main people here who's helping me improve my Spanish! It's going to be sad saying goodbye to them next week, but I've been so happy to help them, even if it is just making them smile.

Also this week, we've been taking advantage of the $5 cinema movies and enjoying the Wednesday night "Ladies Night - free drinks" trend in La Mariscal (Gringoland). My host father, Marcelo, says we've just about seen it all now in Ecuador, so we'll be spending this weekend in Quito again. We might go up the gondola and look over where we've been living for the past three months, and I'm keen to finally see old town and attend a pretty church ceremony. Whatever we do I'm sure we'll still have jolly fun, simply because we're in a beautiful country with a beautiful language and we know that we don't get these kind of experiences every day!

There's still a week left, so enough time for one more update soon. Take care our loved ones, and we'll be seeing you soon! Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment