Wednesday 18 July 2012

Beautiful Island and French goodbyes



COUNTRY: France
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Language and tutoring English
WRITTEN BY: Siobhan Calafiore

Just like the beginning of May and the beginning of June, Phoebe, Jess and I were reunited the beginning of July. However this time it wasn’t Paris that brought us all together again but a little island off the coast of Vannes named Belle Ile en Mer.
The famous island with the “aiguilles” rocks that Monet once painted was recommended to both Phoebe and I by numerous people. We invited the other girls on the France trip and Jess was quick to say yes. She made the long journey from Le Mans spending a night with Phoebe in Thiex.
Although Belle Ile isn’t all that far away it took us eight hours to get there. I caught my train to Vannes at eight in the morning and a bus ride, another train ride, another bus ride and a boat ride later we arrived in Belle Ile just after two in the afternoon. None of the transport we had to take came very frequently and so we spent many hours waiting. Although we would have rather spent those hours on the island we made the most of it. In Auray as we waited for our train to Quiberon we had breakfast and caught up on what each of us had been doing the last month. We weren’t short on things to say as both Phoebe and Jess had done so much travelling. Then in Quiberon (which is a beautiful seaside town) we had lunch at a restaurant by the beach before catching the boat to Belle Ile.
It was a relief to finally arrive. We had only twenty four short hours on the island before making the eight hour trip back home. However in that time we managed to visit the old fortifications that line the coast and walked through their crumbling, dark remains, we spent some time admiring a beautiful piece of beach sheltered by rocks and vegetation where Phoebe braved the cold water and went for a swim, we tried out the cafes and bars the town had to offer and we walked through the citadel which the town Le Palais is known for. We left Belle Ile with some reluctance wishing that we could extend our stay. It definitely lived up to its name “Beautiful Island”.

I have also had the chance to go to Rennes to explore the old city and the museum of Brittany with my host mother. She also took me to Auray as we went shopping with her friends and I got to see a bit more of the town. But my biggest adventure this past week has been my trip to Lyon over the weekend (which is why my blog is a little bit late!). I was reunited with my host family from three years ago and I didn’t realise until I was back in their house surrounded by all the family (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents) how happy I was to be back and how much I had missed them! I spent the days swimming in the pool, playing table tennis and badminton with the girls and cooking. Friday night we went to a nearby village which had a celebration with music, dancing and fireworks and even the rain could not dampen the town’s spirits. Saturday night was the 14th of July Bastille Day celebrations and I went to Lyon with my (previous) host sister and her friends and we watched the magnificent fireworks display. It was an amazing four days and very difficult to say goodbye because unlike the last time this time I wasn’t so sure when I would have a chance to come back.

Jess has also spent the week travelling visiting Bruges, Amsterdam and Brussels whereas Phoebe has spent the last week with her family in Thiex doing some final English lessons but will be coming to Hennebont to visit me and my town very soon!

Only five more days to go! This time next week I will be in Australia and the other girls will be all over Europe! It is very hard to believe how close we are to the end of this adventure. I know I will be sad to leave and I will find it hard to say goodbye to what has been my home and family for the past three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment