Monday 4 November 2013

Sharing the Australian experience in France


COUNTRY: France
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Language and tutoring English
WRITTEN BY: Aidan Thompson

Most of my week is spent in school, either French classes at CEAS to improve my French or at Alban or Viviens school doing presentations in English about various Australian subjects. In my free time I've explored the beautiful little towns and villages around Vannes, such as Auray, Arradon and Séné.

On Wednesdays and during the weekends I am tutoring Monique and Pierre, mostly just speaking in English about various subjects, such as Pierre's work or how the French school system works with Monique. It is very interesting to see the differences in the cultures and the different customs that French people have. Everyone in Vannes is very polite, and shopkeepers are very welcoming and friendly.

Monique signed me up for football training during the week, which is very interesting because it allows me to see how 20-30 year old French people speak and interact with each other, and also allows me to see how their football systems works compared to Australia's. There is a lot of respect between all age groups at the football training, often there is a youth training before ours and after they finish every greats each other (hand shakes) and the adult managers greet all the players.


Living with another family has been a new experience, because they have different ways of doing things and I've become a bit more self-dependent than when I live at home. Lunches on the weekend are generally cooked, more like a dinner than lunch, and on Wednesdays most people either have a whole day off or only work a half day, so in the afternoon they are home for lunch and we are able to work on their English conversations.

I have two more weeks in Vannes, and the last week will be school holidays so everyone will be home during the week. I've met an American doing a similar program, and next Tuesday her host father is driving us to Nantes because he has work there during the day, and the weekend after we might go to a football game in Nantes or Lorient.

No comments:

Post a Comment