Thursday 14 August 2014

A brief update from our week in Cuzco


COUNTRY: Peru
PROGRAM: UniBreak
PROJECT: Teaching and Construction
WRITTEN BY: Kymon Mansfield

Week one brought with it a plethora of newness: new faces to meet, places to explore and things to do. In week two we continued with our scheduled classes, teaching the school kids art, sport, and English, while also helping to prepare their breakfasts each morning. It is still the cutest thing in the world to hear a 5-year-old kid say 'ensalada de frutas.' The work on the greenhouses is progressing well, as we've been working on completely remaking the roofs. This involves taking down the original roof, tightening up the wire support structure, and then putting up a new roof and keeping it in place. The theory is that hopefully a new roof on each greenhouse will allow less air to escape unnecessarily, consequently allowing more sunlight to the plants during the day.

As far as exploring Cuzco goes, I'm still enjoying my regular walks up and down the main streets. Last week I visited the Sacred Valley where I bought hands down the coolest backpack with a llama on it. I also bought a guitar this week, with the intention of possibly introducing some music into art classes at the school. I've never owned an acoustic guitar and really wanted one so am honestly just excited to have it!

The one thing I've really noticed is just how fast my time here is passing. It feels like my first night in Lima was only a day ago, but surprisingly, I'm already halfway through! And I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment