Tuesday 16 December 2014

Reflecting on my time in Paris


COUNTRY: France
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Language Immersion
WRITTEN BY: Allie Boyd

When I started high school I wanted, more than anything, to learn to speak Japanese. Yet fate was such that I ended up studying French. When I arrived in France something just felt so right. France is inspiring and Paris is a city you instantly fall in love with. I lived almost every dream I’ve had so far in a mere 7 weeks in France (there was even one week where I ended up in Malta!) and when I arrived back in Australia, I was completely content with life.

It is hard to describe a place and an experience that was so perfect. I’ve made life-long friends from multiple countries, tasted some incredible food and wine, found a love for Camembert, climbed the Eiffel tower, and been to Versailles twice! I went to a truck festival in the racing city of Le Mans, spent (probably) millions on tickets for riding the metro, and bought Pride and Prejudice in French- and I can read it! I taught kids how to say Aussie slang, witnessed sophisticated men and women sipping their coffee and smoking their cigarettes in the small cafes and all in all, just experienced as much of the culture and lifestyle as humanly possible in my relatively short time there.

Languages are beautiful and it's so fun in Europe because no matter where you are you hear up to 4 or 5 different languages in one day! When I left France and arrived in London, it was the strangest feeling knowing that I no longer had to think or speak in French. This trip opened up so many opportunities and ideas for the future. It made me think about what I really want to do, and I’m still without answer, although teaching English as a second language doesn’t seem like such bad idea after all…

Thank you to the Antipodeans team for making this amazing adventure possible!

Until my next adventure… Au revoir!

I’d also like to dedicate this last post to my grandfather Frank Elsworthy who passed away before I left for France; I wish he could see all the amazing things happening for me ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment