Friday 28 August 2015

Welcome to Camp!


COUNTRY: Canada
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Work Placement
WRITTEN BY: Cassidy Shaw

Hello from Haliburton, Canada. I am currently a counsellor at Camp Northland for Unit 2 girls (aged 10-12) I currently have a group of 11 girls under my care. Whilst this is my first year attending a summer camp I'm having a wonderful time experiencing and soaking up the amazing culture of a Canadian Summer.

It really is amazing to experience a camp with so much culture, tradition and history. From little things like dancing across certain bridges to avoid badluck to singalongs to canoeing across the lake and camping under the stars. I'm learning and picking up all these little traditions slowly and easing into life at camp and even though it's only the first week I really am loving it.

A day in the life of camp looks a little like this. 7 15am the alarm goes off and the four staff in my cabin make sure all the campers are awake and getting ready for the day. We all head down to the mess hall for breakfast which can be pancakes, French toast or eggs and there is always hot chocolate!

We have two activities and then a hobby (which is an activity the campers get to choose and counsellors also get to choose) this week I am on adventure which involves rock climbing and high ropes. Hobbies are a great opportunity to meet different staff and campers within the camp. Lunch is at 12 15 and then we have a desperately needed rest hour till 2pm, nap time is essential at camp.

The afternoon consists of 2 more activities and then free swim time before dinner at 5 30pm. Counselling, honestly is one of the most difficult jobs I've had but it is also one of the most rewarding and most enjoyable jobs.

Whilst being with the same people 24/7 can seem strenuous, they become your family away from home and the people you'll always remember. I can't believe how many amazing people I've met and how many new friends I've made in the 10 days I've been at camp. I really can't wait for the rest of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment