Monday 5 January 2009

Dom's UniBreak experiences in Lonavala - the stories continue....


Last week in India by Dom



We are reaching week seven and I feel a little more relaxed as the projects that we set out to achieve have finally been put into place. These include:
painting the school
Setting up Child sponsorship with the Lions Club in Australia to be chanelled to India (thanks for advice safeena)
Completing the greeting card project to raise money for the school
Conducting interviews with Shatish Moon (school Co-ordinator) to play on Australian radio and further fund raise for the school
Establishing networks in Oz to assist with the posible formation of NGO
Doing an overview of the school to assist in fundraising
Completing a funding submission for school etc.

I have found this to be most rewarding, and as previously stated, I have found working with 'Little Buddah Natural School' to be the highlight of the trip; and much more interesting, exciting and wonderful than even seeing ancient monuments such as the Taj Mahal; This may be because of the fact that the school is in the 'present' in a sens and not historical ... altho who is to define such things ...

I Have enjoyed the placement immensely... when leaving the school on friday I realised that I will miss these kids significantly when I finally go, and I will also miss the freindly faces at Lonavala market place and the students I am currently working with... I truly believe I could not have came with a nicer group of people ...

I found visiting Delhi a little sad as many people live on a very small wage, while others sleep on the streets, etc and I find this kind of oppression saddening to see ... esp in relation to the effect it has on families ... people that work often can not return home but just send back their money and see their family rarely while others can not afford to support their children, and partners, This I find very sad ... however a fighting overcoming spirit is shared by many people in India which I hope to intergrate in my life when returning to the West.

My friend Emma spent two nights in hospital and I was quite worried about her, but she seems ok now; she unfortunately missed new years eve at the hotel which was a memorable event, I hope to remain in contact with the school and hopefully safeena as I would like to come back one day, maybe next year.

It is possible to set up free blankets for the school children over here with a contact back in Oz; and I would like to talk to Safeena about this further, and maybe antipodeans, as I have had favourable reception within the school re this possibility.

Overall India has been a great experience, and has shaped my perspective in relation to what is important in my life; I recommend coming here to anyone interested in a change of pace and perspective;

No comments:

Post a Comment