Wednesday 11 February 2009

Looking back on Laos - UniBreak student Emma


Laos - an incredible experience



I’ve just spent an incredible month doing volunteer work in Laos through Antipodeans Abroad. I was able to work with Big Brother Mouse and promote literacy in a country where few children own a book. I wrote for them and travelled to a village school where the kids were taught about the joys of reading and given a book. This all took place in the beautiful old capital Luang Prabang. The people were kind, generous and welcoming and the scenery was breathtaking. It was sad to leave after three weeks, however the Organic Farm in Vang Vien was just as beautiful. On the farm I taught elective English lessons in the evening and had the opportunity to do as little or as much farm work as I choose. I cleaned out and fed the goats! The students aged from 11-20 and were eager to learn and practice their English. The farm itself has an all organic restaurant and is right on the river. A great place to relax. I’ve been home only a few days and am itching to go back- I would highly recommend the experience to anyone interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment