Monday 9 August 2010

Bright Lights of Beijing - Tyler's 2nd Update


HELLO ALL!
I have quite a busy rest of the week ahead of me, so I thought now would be a great time to keep ya'll updated. Still alive, and well. I've had a mosquito bite, but yet to contract that Japanese Encephalitis thing (Ahahah) ANYHOW, I have seriously had the most amazing past 5 days in Beijing. It's such a frantic city, something is always happening and the pubic transport is so frequent.

I've been to markets galore and craving Western food ALL the time! So some British girls and myself endeavoured to a Western Supermarket called, 'Wu-Mart' and made quite a few friends there with the shop assistants, we tried practicing our Mandarin on them, buuuuut we sucked. We searched for maple syrup, without any luck; but found honey. So every morning for breakfast I have a dumpling, two pancake-type things (they're not very nice- dry and plain) but I know add honey, butter, chocolate sauce and bananas so they taste quite delicious. They have some strange crisp flavours here, as the attachments may show.

Dinner and lunch is much the same, all three meals are served at this cafeteria connected to the University which I am staying at. I try to be adventurous with my meal choices, but my boundary stops at starfish. We had a 'Welcome dinner' the other evening, twas quite fun. There was at least 20 meals brought out to each table, and I tried Peking Duck, which was slightly underwhelming. BAH, it's so hard to encapsulate how great everything is.

I went to Tienanmen Square last night, it was amazing! And packed. So many locals wanted pictures with us, attached is one I took. Tomorrow I am going to karaoke, which will be interesting, particularly because I have no tune. AHHH WELL. Then Friday is the Great Wall and the Birds Nest Stadium or summin. Then perhaps I shall check on the Beijing rock scene, which will be.. interesting? OHH, there are squat toilets in our teaching building. It's hilarious, I don't use them, but I am intrigued.

Saturday is the Forbidden City and the Beijing Botanic Gardens. This city is filled with culture, and a lot of people that spit. I just relish it. It's been raining all day today, and my teachers scared me into thinking it was acidic, but I braved it anyway and I may face is not distorted. I will try to keep you all updated as much as possible, but juggling a social life here, exploring, doing homework and attending lessons leaves very little time left. I do hope Australia is being lovely! Tell me things. I read every word you type, even if I don't reply.

OHHHH, I nearly forgot to say how amazing this TEFL course is, I have learnt so much about the English language and my Canadian teacher is hilarious! Got some good anecdotes that man. Auxillary verbs, the 12 different types of tenses, intonation. It's good. Feel free to ask me any questions, lots of love,

Tyler Gleason


No comments:

Post a Comment