Wednesday 8 June 2011

Josh visits students in South America


When the opportunity arose to visit Peru and Argentina I was stoked that it came my way, it’s funny how quickly you can make everyone jealous when you mention you are off on a quick trip to South America! Fortunately I’d travelled through both Peru and Argentina before but that was nearly 10 years ago so I was excited by the prospect of returning to see how things had changed, to meet some of the Antips travellers on the ground (in their natural habitat) and to see if my Spanish was still functional!

So after a few long flights I arrived with a UniBreak team into Cusco, Peru (the former heart of the Incan empire and gateway to Macchu Piccu.) We touched down on a clear and crisp morning where we were met by our in country partner and whisked away to meet the locals and try some of the famous tea. Sadly, I couldn’t linger and had only a few days in the area but it was time well spent with visits to some of the local communities we have worked with in the past and will in the future, scattered in and around Cusco and the Sacred Valley. The locals are amazing, incredibly welcoming and thoroughly embrace the Antips travellers and the energy and skills that they bring. It was lovely to have the chance to meet with our GapBreak and UniBreak students on the ground in Peru. I was very impressed by the strong level of Spanish amongst many of our volunteers and the great work ethic and enthusiasm that they showed.

As I began my voyage home I had a half day in Lima (the capital and largest city in Peru) to visit a project on the outskirts of the city for an Expedition team that is visiting in September. Although my visit to Lima was only brief I really enjoyed my time there – I understand why it has earned a reputation as a city of contradictions. From the poor indigenous communities who are flocking to the dusty outskirts of Lima in search of work (where even taxi drivers are afraid to travel) to the incredibly wealthy and opulent suburbs along the Pacific coastline where people jog along the beach with their poodles and paraglide in the afternoons. Lima certainly is an interesting place.

My next, and final visit, was to Buenos Aries the capital and largest city in Argentina. BA is an incredibly beautiful city – a European city in the heart of South America and an incredible place to spend a couple of days on the way back to Australia. The GapBreak students I met with in BA were in fine spirits and thoroughly enjoying their time in Argentina. I travelled with a number of them to the villas (shanty towns of sorts - on the outer limits of Buenos Aries) to work with some of the local children in an after school care program that looks to be making a real difference and is such an incredible and unique experience for our travellers. It was a humbling afternoon - as I was helping a few of the young kids with their homework (as best I could in Spanish) I was afforded some perspective on life and just how good many of us have it in Australia ... I also realised that my Spanish (and math skills) were not as polished as I remember! Something thankfully which I had a chance to change with a few Spanish language films and Sudoku on my short 15 hour return flight to Sydney.

By Josh Owen - GapBreak Operations Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment