Wednesday 8 June 2011

Ready, Set, Go! Training Camp prepares Gappers for their adventure abroad


On the 4th of June a bunch of young, enthusiastic teenagers came from all over Australia (literally) to hear of the exciting experiences they will be having when they venture off to do their placements to all kinds of countries around the world; from the Savannah grasslands in Africa to the monumental Eiffel Tower in France! Here students recount their experience of their own GapBreak training camp. We came thinking our placement was a long three months away...we left counting down the sleeps until we leave! To begin the weekend we were told to move into our country groups. It was here when we saw who we would be in close quarters with during our placement. Shy hellos were exchanged-however by dinner that night, you could count on it that we were all friends...on facebook! After three hours of four girls chatting away, it was surprising to see that the one male in our group, hadn't been sent running for the hills- we did console him however, that there would other male company at our placement he would be able to “reconnect” with.

Later that day, we were given basic tips on how to teach English to young children. We were given details of what to expect when we walk into the classroom, as well as what we would be teaching. After an hour of colouring in, 'Simon Says' and differentiating between the primary colours, I think we all walked out of the classroom feeling more confident in teaching a class of 30 young children; I know I did.

After staying up to all hours, gossiping with the girls I had just met from Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra we were awoken at 7.30 for breakfast. Over breakfast our group sat together and talked excitedly about our “guest speaker” coming to speak to us about our specific country we were headed; Tanzania. It was great to hear from someone first hand, who had undergone what we were about to encounter, only a mere 12 months before. Our speaker told us to what to expect, what we would be doing and the meaningful friendships we would make over our 3 months in Tanzania. Over a delicious Fish and Chips for lunch, there were many...many exclamations of “I’m so excited! I can't wait!”

The weekend was drawing to an end. Everyone was given one last activity (which involved a lot of yelling) leading to a volunteer feeling “violated!” I think that from this activity, everyone in that room learned a valuable lesson: Compromising is the key!

After a very informative, yet fun weekend, it was time to say goodbye. We parted with exclaims of “Next time I see you...we’ll be in Africa!”

The weekend to me was enjoyable and made me understand the reality of where I was going. I know that I will have lots of fun, make many new friendships and above all, overcome challenges that most people would never dream of encountering.

Only 86 sleeps left... and counting!
By Bridget McKinn - TANZANIA 2011
Check out the more information on Tanzania here.


When my alarm went off at 4am I was convinced that nothing in the world was worth being up at this hour of the morning. But I’m so glad I rolled out of bed to greet one of the most eye-opening weekends of my life! We had facebook-stalked each other for months, but now was the time to finally meet the girls I’d be spending the most challenging 3 months of my life, volunteering in Ghana.

I have never been so grateful for the ease of face-to-face contact. Suddenly worries, and questions and travel arrangements were just a matter of throwing an idea over the dinner table, instead of typing out endless messages and patiently waiting for replies. The back to back lessons were draining, but counteracted by the sheer amount of food that kept popping up in the dining quarters.

After two intensive days, I left the course with a book full of furiously scribbled notes, and my heart pounding with anticipation and excitement for the months to come. There’s paperwork, there’s online researching, there are deposits and bookings made – but nothing made it so real as physically seeing Sophie Lander (the elusive email phantom) and proudly pulling on an antipodeans t-shirt that would soon become a staple of my wardrobe.

Nothing will quite compare to the experience of teaching a class of 18 year olds what an apple is. Well, we will have to wait and see.

“See you in Ghana”
ANNA GRAHAM - GHANA
Check out more information on Ghana here.

No comments:

Post a Comment