Monday 9 December 2013

Ecuador, a natural splendour like no other


COUNTRY: Ecuador
PROGRAM: GapBreak
PROJECT: Teaching & Care Work
WRITTEN BY: Roxanne Vuurman

Well, friends and family, this is it. I am writing this final blog post from Jaun Valdez Café, our standard group meeting point over the previous months, however, sadly I am the only remaining group member in Ecuador. While Katharine arrived safely to Australia yesterday afternoon, I bid farewell to the boys, who will continue their travels in Peru, once again unable to resist the call of the coast. We wish them all the best, and for safe and happy travels with their remaining time in South America.

Our second last weekend in this fantastic country was spent wholly appreciating its natural splendour. Katharine and I made our way through the Amazon rainforest as the boys took in the stunning landscape of La Esperanza in Ecuador’s north. Both adventures left our group in awe at the incredible beauty this world has to offer. There are no words to describe just how amazing it really was.

With our remaining time in Ecuador we attempted get the most out of the place we have all called home for the past three months. Climbing the towers of the Basilica, an enormous cathedral in the city’s centre, we were able to experience the view of Quito’s enormity for the last time. We will all continue our lives with a great appreciation for this place.

I attempted to get every member of the group to write a small reflective piece to include in this final blog post, however (as I am sure their parents can attest to), Tom and Duncan aren’t always the easiest people to coordinate. As a result I could only rely on Katharine for some input (thanks Katharine).

Hey parents, so as a reflection on the past 3 months in Ecuador, the cunning Roxii has managed to rope us into writing our own piece for the blog. Whether it was trekking through the Amazon jungle, dodging Tarantulas and poisonous caterpillars or playing with the beautiful children at INSFIDM, I have had an unbelievable time. I would like to say a special thanks to our host parents, Marcelo and Ruth for all the care and guidance they have shown us throughout our brief stay in Quito. Without them this experience would not have been so incredible or unforgettable. I write this with a tinge of sadness on the eve of my return to Australia but am now happy to know that I will always have a home in Quito, if I ever choose to return. I would also like to say a special goodbye to the other volunteers for making this time even more spectacular, especially to Tom and Duncan who (and I say this with only a touch of envy) will continue on their journey to visit the other countries of South America. I will miss the crazy bus rides, frozen yogurts, hugs from children and stunning scenery that has defined my time here in Ecuador. Most of all I will miss waking up to the sound of “Katharine, I am dying” clarifying the fact that Roxii’s body had stubbornly decided to remain sick for the last three months. Of course we blamed this, along with our fitness levels, laziness and anything else on the altitude. I am looking forward to seeing my family again and I hope you have all enjoyed Roxii’s awesome blog posts. – Katharine

We all sincerely thank our host families for everything they have done for us. We don’t think we could ever truly express how thankful we are to them. This whole trip would not have been possible if it weren’t for their incredible hospitality.

To our families in Australia, we also send our thanks. I’m sure you have all had your fair share of worry. Thank you for putting up with us, especially when we neglected to contact you.

With every Pilsener; every excruciating bus trip, every lollypop, broken skate board and get together in La Carolina, every time Katharine had to anxiously watch children climb the monkey bars and every time she had to resist petting a stray, every time Tom high fived one of us or every time he was tackled by a child, every musician Duncan recommended and with every chord he played, with every time Emma did her snake face or every time she yelled at us, with every time I got unreasonably angry at blatant misogyny and every time I acquired a new illness, every fruit juice, black coffee, Cuba libre and empanada, every staff room talk, every discussion over a game of pool or on the balcony of Attic bar, every failed attempt at salsa and every successful attempt at white people dancing, every person we met and every new place we saw, we have all been permanently changed in the most positive way possible. This experience has been so life changing, and none of us would trade it for anything.

So for the final time,
Chao

No comments:

Post a Comment