Friday 13 December 2013

Penrhos College visit 4000 Islands and ride elephants in Laos


COUNTRY: Laos
PROGRAM: Expeditions
PROJECT: Leadership Expedition
WRITTEN BY: Penrhos College

4000 Islands was definitely spectacular! We spent the first day relaxing, reading books and enjoying the view, the second day we adventured through Don Khone and Don Det on our hired bikes which was a bit of a laugh.... Let's just say we couldn't feel our butts after! We then enjoyed some smoothies on the river front watching the sun go down, the sunset is unreal. We then travelled back to Pakse for a few hours and travelled on a "VIP" overnight bus AKA THE HOBBIT PIMP CAVE. The bus looked like the set of a hobbit Austin powers movie with everyone crouching like half their size to get onto the bus AND THE TOILET IS A WHOLE OTHER STORY, you had to sit like in a crouch/ball stance to fit in the cubicle. The beds also seemed like they were built for one small child with no legs BUT WE HAD TO FIT TWO TEENAGERS ON ONE. After that long night we arrived in the hustling bustling city of Vientiane where we got Tuk Tuks to the biggest Laos national icon the Pha That Luang temple. It was massive and golden; you couldn't miss it. We adventured through the museum there and bought some cheap gifts from the nearby markets. That night was awesome! Because it was Shannon's 16th birthday we decided to go for a nice meal and we surprised her with a cake and some macaroons which was pretty mint :)

We are all having a blast but are missing you all quite a bit so we would like to share some stuff we have experienced and accomplished.

Abbey - after missing my mouth a considerable amount of times I can finally use chopsticks! YIPPPPEEE :) I have some awesome sunset shots that I can't wait to show you from 4000 Islands, the children at the trek were so adorable and I hope Max and Soph had great birthdays xxx love you

SHANNON - thank you so much for my watch I love it. Had a really great birthday. We arrived in Vientiane around 9 after a horrible 12 hour bus ride. After a late breakfast we checked in to our accommodation ($3.50pp) around 12:30 we headed to the biggest temple in Lao and then had some time for a little shopping. We then returned to the hotel via tuk tuk to get ready for dinner. At 5 a group of us went to the cutest coffee shop and had a late afternoon tea. We then went to a really nice place for dinner and after dinner out came a cake for me! And also some macaroons and card from everyone. Overall a great day but missing you lots. Sorry I didn't Skype you ran out of time in the day. Can't wait to see you having so much fun. It's amazing here! XX p.s. Got you all some presents

Natalie - I am having the time of my life! Dad, you would have loved the trek with the amazing wildlife and the interesting but delectable food. I think I would have been dryer if I swam in the river then standing in my sweaty clothes after the trek. I couldn't keep the silly grin off my face when we were riding the elephants. They were beautiful mum, I rode one with chiqui, and it was called Kom, she was 50 and kept making an 'ip, ip' noise which means they're happy. There are so many photo opportunities here; you would love it. Max, I think you would've loved the bike ride over the massive bumps at 4000's. Hope the last week of school is good... You can tell your friends that I saw roasted animals on sticks at the markets, including frogs, bats, rats, turtles and *sniff* guinea pigs! Olive should stay in Australia... So many manky dogs here! Even though I am enjoying myself I am constantly reminded of how fortunate I am to live in Australia. Can't wait to see you but also don't want the trip to finish. Healthy and safe, love you all, xoxox nat :)

Isabella - This trip is absolutely amazing! Honestly it has been hard but definitely one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The drastic change in food and scenery has been eye opening especially seeing how the locals live compared to our lives. I have eaten so much rice and as a group we have travelled over 70 hours!! The walks and treks are so cool with lots of jungle and amazing views and I rode an elephant!!!!!!!!!!!, I feel like you would of liked the treks and bike riding alot Dad. The markets are amazing to look around with so many little nooks and crannies. Mum, you would totally love the fabrics and all the spices/street cooking, the food is incredible. Everything is so cheap, I love it. And Foof, you should see how easily entertained the kids are here just by a game like hopscotch, no mine craft here! There are also so many dogs but no corgis sadly :( I have so much more to say and so many priceless photos to show you but I shall present all and talk nonstop when I get home, miss and love you loads xxx
P.S Can I please get a set of all the john green books for Christmas.


Laura - it is incredible here I am having such a great time! The amount if rice I have eaten in the last two weeks is more than I have eaten in my entire life. I have decided that noodle soup and spring rolls is my fave though. The trek was by far my highlight so far, the kids in the villages we stayed in and the schools we visited were adorable and the elephant ride was also really cool! The amount of manky animals here is ridiculous, thank god I got my rabies needle and I advise Kiz never comes here. I miss you all so much (even Matt and sam, kinda) and I can't wait to show you all the photos and tell you about everything when I get home love you xxxxxxx

Zoe - Laos is so different to Australia, and the things we have been experiencing are absolutely mind blowing! So far the trek has been my favourite part, which is a shock to everyone. They can't believe princess Zoe was out in the rice fields doing some harvesting and that I survived 3 days without a shower. Mum- your travel skills must have rubbed off on me because you would be very impressed with the cheap deals we are getting. Our accommodation last night was $3.50 per person! Dad- you would be loving the temples and seeing the monks and the amazing culture here. We also came across an English man who was a guitar player/singer and he was busking on the streets. He was awesome, he really reminded me of you! And OMG OLIVIVA!!!!!!!! We found this Japanese coffee and tea place and it was so nice, you would have loved it! Even though this trip wouldn't exactly be your "cup of tea" (see what I did there). Good luck with your call back, I'm so excited for you! Let me know if you hear any news! Love you all and miss you lots, see you soon! xxxxx

Keeley - Where to start? Well it's very different to Australia of course but you would know that already, I came over here not really knowing what to except or how I would react and I suppose I have acted how any 16 year old Penrhos College girl would have... I'm absolutely amazed and astonished this whole experience is incredible, and I thank you Mum and Dad so much. It's been really hard at times and I'm missing you guys a lot travelling alone is a lot harder then with you guys and the thought of seeing you in the airport soon is getting me through. MUM- any news on Ella? It's the biggest thing on my mind I'm really excited to hear all about it soon and in exchange share a few tails of my own! DAD- never again shall I travel without you it's much harder...
Love you all (even Myles) so much, see you soon
XXXXXXXXXX

Ellie - it is incredibly hard or even impossible to sum up the last few days!! I am having the most amazing, life changing experience on this adventure with 14 of the most wonderful girls. I did ride an elephant the other day and I must admit that it was very different to riding raddish and pirate! The people here as so friendly and welcoming, a Laos persons smile warms the soul and you can't help but return a grin. You are all constantly on my mind and I send my love every night. I can smell the Christmas tree right now and I hope that you leave a few ornaments for me to put up!! Mum, I miss you very much, your Katanning up dates and your cuddles! Dad, I miss you very much and your constant advice and support... and miss liss, I miss you so so much and have gotten you some presents already xx! Stay safe all of you, I will see you soon and send on some of my love to the animals. Love always xxx Elzie xxx love you xx

Hannah - I honestly don't know where to start!! I am having the most incredible time, this is definitely a life changing experience. So far we have trekked through the jungle, stayed in a village with a local family, ridden elephants, explored the 4000 islands and Pakse. This place is incredible and so is the culture. The people are so welcoming and helpful even though there is a language barrier that is tricky to overcome! Laos is so different to I thought it would be and even though I am loving it here I am missing home and you guys a lot. The trip is flying by and I can't wait to see you guys at the airport (don't forget the Christmas hats!)!!! I also can't wait to get home and eat something other than rice, I can say that I am really looking forward to the dreaded Christmas ham! Missing you all a lot and I can't wait to get home and tell you all about the trip and to give you a big hug! Say hi to Nan for me and give Tarnie a pat! I hope Bec is enjoying her last week of Junior school. Stay safe. Miss you so so much, love you lots and see you soon! Hannah xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emma - Sa-ba-dee (hello) I'm absolutely having the time of my life! Laos is so different to Australia. We have rode elephants, been on long boats, trekked in the beautiful jungle and been to the southern end of Laos to the 4000 Islands which was nice and relaxing. When we were in the 4000 island we rode bikes around the island and also crossed over to Don Det for the day. The day finished off with a breath taking sunset. The traffic here is crazy and one of the main source of getting around is on tuk tuks. My favourite part of trip so far has been on the elephants. It was my life long dream to ride on an elephant and I for-filled it with an amazing group of friends. I miss you all so much and can not wait to come home but at the same time I want to stay. I love you all so much to the moon, stars and back. Give a big pat to Zac for me. See you soon love Emma:) xxxxx

Chiquita- Hi mum, dad, zac and buddy! Hope all is good at home, I am having a really awesome time here. It has been such a great experience so far and it is amazing to see how different the culture and lifestyle is within Laos compared to home. The people are so friendly and life is so simple. Over the past days we have had so many amazing experiences that I won't forget. Our group get along so well and we are having so much fun together, from elephant riding to over night trains everything has been awesome. I have really enjoyed the home stay and it is great to try to communicate with the locals within the village. Say hi to everyone and anyone for me especially nan and pop. Zac: have a great yr.7 graduation you will finally be free from mr poof. Miss you all and can't wait to tell you everything when I get back xx love Chiqui xx

Milla - see above :)
Love the Penrhos College Gumnut Warriors xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment