Monday 12 May 2008

Weekend, News & Food in Ghana

Written by Melanie Blair - Ghana 2008 Year Out Volunteer

I was originally intending this email to be my observations of village life because not too much new has happened here :) but I thought you might all like to hear about my weekend adventures too so ... here goes! ... I'll save the observations for next time and just tell you about the food.

THE WEEKEND
When we set out from our village on Saturday morning it was almost cold (amazing for here!) we caught a taxi to Swedru (the main town near my village) then a tro tro to Wineba which was a pleasant 25 minutes away, then 5 minutes in a taxi to the hotel where we hung out for a while. Then a couple of the others went to see the deer festival in town (which was the reason that we went to Wineba) but I stayed behind. In the afternoon we walked down to this beautiful Palm Tree lined beach but it wasn't safe to swim in. We had a leisurely dinner, enjoyed a running SHOWER! and generally just enjoyed the peace and quiet.

On Sunday was decieded to try our hand at visiting one of the Slave Forts near by at a place called Senya Beraku. After lots of bartering in the hot sun to arrange transport we arrived at this little seafront village which was incredibly picturesque (I will try and post some photos soon!) Where we toured the fort and swam at the beach which was lined with dragon boats. We had more adventures to get back home at the end of the day but that is half the fun! We walked half an hour to the tro tro station, caught a bus to the junction (15 minutes) and a tro tro back to Swedru (about 45 minutes)

So that was my first weekend adventure ... there are many more planned!

NEWS
As I mentioned in my previous email because it is school holidays not all of my Ghanian family are at home. Well they arrived home yesterday and they are lovely ... there is a 15 year old girl called Mena, a 14 year old boy called Kofi and a 16 (i think) year old boy called Wofa. I am now is the process of getting them to learn my name (apparently Melanie is a hard name!) but I am over being called Obruni (white person - NOT DEROGITORY!) or Madam by my family!

FOOD
Our family feed us three meals a day. Breakfast is usually a fried egg, porridge, an unlimited supply of sweet bread (very nice!) and sometimes orange or bananna. Lunch is our big meal of the day and we have it whenever we get home (which is sometimes like 4pm). We've had a range of things including Red Red (black eyed beans in a sauce), Friend Plantane (kind of like savory bananna), Yam (like a bland potato), spinach sauce, rice etc. Rosie is a vegetarian so we don't get given meat ... instead some fish and hard boiled eggs for protien. The portion sizes are massive! (I am yet to finish a meal) so we are not hungry for dinner and we just have fruit or bread (mind you when they give us pineapple we get a whole one between us!)

Anyhow I better go now. I'm loving hearing from everyone. Talk to you soon
Mel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment