Monday 27 July 2009

Rebecca Davis - time of her life in Vietnam


Volunteer Rebecca - first month of a three month placement in Hanoi



My first few weeks have passed by in a blur. Hanoi is beautiful,
crazy, noisy and hot, hot, hot! The Old Quarter is so much fun. It is
always busy and chaotic, I see something new every time I walk down my
street. The are so many amazing restaurants, it would never be
possible to go hungry here. All the food is so great, I have had no
problems with my veggie diet. Lots and lots of choices. I've been
eating both western and Vietnamese. Even went to Thai food last night!
The clothing stores are all really fun and cheap, but the clothes are
kinda tiny. A bit hard to find clothes that fit! The jewellery is
amazing, I have already had to put myself on a limit as I've bought so
much of it!
The sights are beautiful. I have spent so much time at Hoen Kiem Lake.
I never get tired of it, especially the sight of it at night time.
Also went up to West Lake and watched the sunset. Honestly the most
beautiful sunset I've ever seen. And visited Lenin Park yesterday
which was very beautiful and strange. Lots of seemingly abandoned
amusement park rides and lots of strange statues. It made me feel like
Alice in Wonderland. The hotel is great. Very comfortable, and the
staff are so helpful. Had absolutely no problems with it.

My time at Morning Star so far has been so great. I'm very lucky
because I have four great teachers in my class of about 12 amazing
little kids. The class is made up of all little boys and one gorgeous
girl who looks like a perfect little doll. They all have been
diagnosed with autism but their cases are mostly mild. With most of
them, they act like any other little kid. They are so friendly and I
lose count everyday of all the kisses and cuddles I collect. The
teachers are so supportive and have been really tolerant of me and my
lack of language skills, which must be frustrating for them. It's been
great spending time with the other volunteers as well. It's nice to
get to talk to other foreigners, and I'm currently planning a trek up
in the mountains with one volunteer from Denmark.

Phuong has been such a champion. She has helped me so much out here.
We have been shopping, out to dinner, been swimming, and she has even
taken me out to a birthday party and introduced me to her friends. I
probably wouldn't have survived my time here without her help. She has
been a serious lifesaver.

I can't believe almost a month has gone by. Hanoi already feels like
home. I am quite comfortable here now. I can't wait to see what the
next two months is going to bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment